Friday, April 8, 2011

Shrimp and Grits!

Today, I was inspired by a traditional Southern dish, Shrimp and Grits. I wanted to take this dish but make it in a way that could be nicely presented. Parmesan polenta was my base. I made the polenta and sauteed it before I served it. I sweated shallots and garlic in bacon fat and then added cremini mushrooms. This mixture topped the shrimp. The shrimp themselves were seasoned and baked so that the shrimp meat would bake together and form one piece. For the sauce, I made a Parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese sauce. This was made by sweating shallots and garlic in butter and adding some cream then thickened with a roux. Lastly, it was garnished with a bruniose of tomato and a julienne of green onion. This dish came out very nice however, I believe next time, the shrimp need to be a size larger.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks good........just make sure if you ever fix this stuff for me you give me a true HUMAN portion not one for froo-froos, little girls, and midgets!

    Other than that the shrimp look delightful!

    Hope HHI is treating ya well bud!

    ReplyDelete